The use of DEXRON®II or III automatic transmission fluid or equivalent is recommended.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Park the car on a level surface.
It is recommended that the power steering fluid be checked when hot. However, the power steering fluid dipstick also has marks for checking the fluid when cold.
- Start the engine and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right several times. This will raise the fluid temperature to approximately 122-176 degrees F (50-80 degrees C).
- With the engine idling, check the level of fluid in the power steering pump-s reservoir. The fluid should be maintained at the MAX line with the engine idling and at the MIN line with the engine off.
- If still idling, turn the engine off. If the system requires fluid, clean around the reservoir cap with a shop rag to prevent contaminating the fluid with dirt.
- Remove the cap and add the required amount of fluid to the system.
- Install the reservoir cap.