REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
When removing the rear axle shaft(s), cover the CV-boots with cloth to prevent damage.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the adjusting cap and cotter pin from the axle nut.
- Apply the parking brake and remove the axle nut.
- Disconnect the axle shaft from the differential side by removing the side flange bolts.
To protect the threads of the shaft, temporarily install the axle locknut.
- Grasp the axle shaft at the center and extract it from the wheel hub. This may be done by prying it with a prybar or by tapping it with a wooden block and mallet.
- Insert the shaft into the wheel hub and temporarily install the axle locknut.
Take care not to damage the oil seal on either end of the axle shaft.
- Connect the axle shaft to the differential and install the flange bolts. Tighten the flange bolts to 25-33 ft. lbs. (34-44 Nm).
- Apply the parking brake and tighten the axle locknut to152-203 ft. lbs. (206-275 Nm).
- Install a new cotter pin and adjusting cap.
- Install the rear wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.