REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The 240SX uses a coil-over-shock absorber assembly that looks much like a MacPherson strut. It is removed, installed and overhauled in much the same manner.
- Remove the rear seat and package shelf to gain access to the upper strut attaching nuts.
- Remove the upper strut attaching nuts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel.
- Matchmark the strut-to-steering knuckle location.
- Disconnect the brake hose from the strut.
- Remove the strut-to-knuckle bolts.
- Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Position the strut assembly in the vehicle.
- Install new strut-to-knuckle bolts. Align the matchmarks and tighten the bolts to 87-108 ft. lbs. (118-147 Nm).
- Connect the brake hose to the strut.
- Install the wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the 3 upper strut-to-body nuts. Tighten to 29-40 ft. lbs. (39-54 Nm).
- Check the rear wheel alignment.
For details on MacPherson Strut overhaul, refer to the procedure under the Front Suspension portion of this section.