REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The steering lock/ignition switch/warning buzzer switch assembly is attached to the steering column by special bolts whose heads shear off upon installation. The bolts must be drilled out to remove the assembly or be removed with an appropriate tool. The bolts may also be removed with a hammer and chisel by notching the bolts and tapping them counterclockwise with the hammer and chisel.
The ignition switch or warning switch can be replaced without removing the steering lock assembly. The ignition switch is on the back of the assembly and the warning switch is on the side.
- Disable the air bag system by disconnecting the negative battery cable and waiting at least 10 minutes, prior to starting this procedure.
- Remove the steering column covers.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the spiral cable assembly.
- Remove the combination switch from the steering column.
- Remove the steering column support nuts and lower the steering column.
- Disconnect the ignition switch wiring.
- Remove the bolts that secure the steering lock and remove the steering lock assembly.
- Install the steering lock assembly and secure with new shear type bolts.
- Connect the ignition switch wiring harness.
- Raise the steering column and secure with mounting nuts. Tighten the mounting nuts to 11-14 ft. lbs. (15-19 Nm).
- Install the spiral cable assembly.
- Install the combination switch.
- Install the steering column covers.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.