Perform the following inspection after removal, installation or replacement of camshaft or valve-related parts, or if there are unusual engine conditions due to changes in valve clearance over time (starting, idling, and/or noise).
- Run engine to operating temperature.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise to Top Dead Center (TDC) identification notch with timing indicator.
- Ensure that both the intake and exhaust cam noses of the No. 1 cylinder face outside.
- Measure the valve clearances at locations shown in figure.
- Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise 270 degrees from the position of No. 1 cylinder compression to obtain No. 3 cylinder compression TDC.
- Measure the valve clearances at locations shown in the figure.
Turn crankshaft pulley clockwise 90 degrees and measure the intake and exhaust valve clearance of No. 6 cylinder and exhaust valve clearance of No. 2 cylinder.
- To adjust the valves, remove camshaft and valve lifter(s) out of specification.
- Install replacement valve lifter(s).
- Install the camshaft.
- Manually turn the crankshaft pulley several turns.
- Recheck valve clearances with engine at operating temperature.