Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
- If equipped, release the air pressure from the rear load leveling air suspension system using the CONSULT-II EXHAUST SOLENOID active test.
If equipped, disconnect the electrical connectors for the height sensor and the rear load leveling air suspension compressor assembly. Unclip the rubber cover to access the rear load leveling air suspension compressor assembly. Disconnect the rear load leveling air suspension hoses at the rear load leveling air suspension compressor assembly.
NOTETo disconnect the hoses, push in on the lock ring using the proper tool and pull the hose out.
Remove the brake caliper.
NOTEDo not disconnect the fluid lines. Position the assembly out of the way. Do not allow the caliper to hang by the hydraulic brake line.
- Remove the spare tire.
- Disconnect both ABS sensor level connectors.
- Remove the halfshafts (both sides).
- Remove the final drive assembly.
- Remove the EVAP canister bolt from the top of the rear suspension member.
- Disconnect the parking brake cables from the brackets on the rear suspension member.
- Position a suitable jack to support each of the rear lower links and the coil spring tension.
- Remove both of the rear lower link outer bolts and lower the jack to remove the rear coil springs.
- Remove the two bolts to disconnect the seat belt latch anchor from the rear suspension member.
- Disconnect both of the connecting rods from the rear stabilizer bar.
- Position a suitable jack under the rear suspension member.
- Slowly lower the jack to remove the rear suspension member, suspension arm, front and rear lower links and stabilizer bar, as an assembly.
- If necessary, remove the suspension arm, spare tire bracket, height sensor, rear load leveling air suspension hoses, stabilizer bar, knuckle, and front and rear lower links from the suspension member.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- When raising the rear suspension member into position, use the locating pins to align the rear suspension member to the vehicle body.
- When installing the upper and lower rubber seats for the rear coil springs, the arrow embossed on the rubber seats must point out toward the wheel and tire assembly.
If equipped, when connecting the rear load leveling air suspension hoses, the lock ring must be fully seated in the fitting. Insert the hose B into the lock ring A until the lock ring A is touching the hose B. Pull on the hose to check that it is securely inserted.
Perform the final tightening of the nuts and bolts for the links (rubber bushing) with the vehicle in the unladen condition with the tires on level ground.
NOTEUnladen condition means that the fuel tank, engine coolant and lubricants are at the full specification and the spare tire, jack, hand tools and mats are in their designated positions.
- Check and adjust the alignment, as required.