Before servicing, or working around, the SRS system, turn the ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least three minutes. When servicing, or working around, the SRS system do not work directly in front of the air bag module.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
Remove the left and right side decorative caps and bolts.
NOTEAlways use new bolts on reassembly.
- Carefully lift the air bag module from its mounting.
- Disconnect the horn connector and air bag harness. Remove the air bag module from the vehicle.
- Disconnect the steering wheel switches.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
Install the steering wheel puller tool. Remove the steering wheel from the steering column.
NOTEPlace a piece of tape across the spiral cable so it will not be rotated out of position.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel. Make sure that the spiral cable is in the neutral position.
NOTEThe neutral position is detected by turning to the left 2.6 revolutions from the right end position and ending with the knob at the top. The spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the cable is installed incorrectly. Also, with the steering linkage disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the limited number of turns (2.6 from the neutral position to both the left and right).
- Tighten the steering wheel retaining nut to 25 ft. lbs.
When reinstalling the air bag module, be sure to use new bolts. Tighten the bolts to 8 ft. lbs.