Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Support the rear torsion beam assembly with a jack.
Open the trunk and remove the 2 nuts attaching the strut to the vehicle.
CAUTIONDo not remove the center locknut from the strut assembly until the strut is safely compressed.
- Remove the bolt attaching the strut to the rear torsion beam assembly and remove the strut.
- Place the strut assembly in a vise with a holding tool or in a spring compressor.
Loosen the piston rod locknut.
CAUTIONDo not remove the piston rod locknut, the spring is under tension and can cause serious personal injury.
Compress the spring with the spring compressor, then remove the piston rod locknut.
NOTEBefore removing the strut from the coil spring, note the positioning of the strut in relationship to the coil spring for reassembly.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Bushing, strut mounting bracket and the upper spring seat rubber
Install or connect the following:
Bound bumper, bound bumper cover and the bushing
- Position the strut on the rear torsion beam and install the bolt. Torque the bolt attaching the strut to the torsion beam assembly to 80-94 ft. lbs. (108-127 Nm) on 1999-02 models.
- Remove the support from the rear torsion beam.
- Install the rear wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Check the vehicle's alignment and adjust as necessary.