REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1978-84 models are equipped with integral regulator alternators. Since the regulator is part of the alternator no adjustments are possible or necessary.
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Disconnect the electrical lead connector of the regulator.
- Remove the two mounting screws and remove the regulator from the vehicle.
- Install the regulator in the reverse order of removal.
- Adjust the voltage regulator core gap on regulators that are adjustable by loosening the screw which is used to secure the contact set on the yoke, and move the contact up or down as necessary. Retighten the screw. The gap should be 0.60-1.00mm.
- Adjust the point gap of the voltage regulator coil by loosening the screw used to secure the upper contact and move the upper contact up or down. The gap for 1973-75 models is 0.30-0.40mm. The point gap for all other models is 0.35-0.45mm.
- The core gap and point gap on the charge relay coil is or are adjusted in the same manner as previously outlined for the voltage regulator coil. The core gap is to be set at 0.80-1.00mm and the point gap adjusted to 0.40-0.60mm.
- The regulated voltage is adjusted by loosening the locknut and turning the adjusting screw clockwise to increase, or counterclockwise to decrease the regulated voltage. The voltage should be between 14.3-15.3 volts at 68°F.