REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
You may find that removing the intake manifold will provide better access to the exhaust manifold on some early models.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, if necessary for access. Remove the heat shield.
- Disconnect and tag the high tension wires from the spark plugs on the exhaust side of the engine.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold.
Soak the exhaust pipe retaining bolts with penetrating oil if necessary to loosen them.
- On the carbureted models, remove the air induction and/or the EGR tubes from the exhaust manifold. On the fuel injected models, disconnect the exhaust gas sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the exhaust manifold mounting fasteners and the manifold from the cylinder head.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Install the manifold onto the engine, use new gaskets and from the center working to the end. Tighten the exhaust manifold nuts/bolts to 14-22 ft. lbs.
- Install the air induction and/or the EGR tubes to the exhaust manifold or the exhaust gas sensor electrical connector.
- Reconnect exhaust pipe.
- Connect plug wires and air cleaner and any related hoses.
- Start the engine and check for exhaust leaks.