The fuel filter on all diesel models is located on the right inner fender. The filter should be replaced at least every 30,000 miles. It should also be drained of water periodically.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Locate the filter on the right side of the engine compartment.
- Place a small pan or glass jar under the filter, unscrew the fuel filter sensor on the bottom and drain any fuel that is in the filter.
- Using Datsun/Nissan special tool SP193200000 or a strap wrench, unscrew the filter from the mount.
- Connect the fuel filter sensor to the new filter and then install the new filter.
The new fuel filter should be screwed on hand-tight. DO NOT use the wrench to tighten the filter.
DRAINING WATER FROM THE FUEL FILTER
- Place a small pan or glass jar under the bottom of the fuel filter.
- Unscrew the fuel filter sensor and let the filter drain.
There is a round primer pump on top of the filter mount. Pumping it will quicken the draining process.
- The diesel fuel and the water will separate themselves in the container. The water is heavier and will therefore be on the bottom.
- Allow the filter to drain until all the water has dripped out.
- Replace the fuel sensor and then bleed the fuel system as detailed in .