The fuel filter on all models is a disposable plastic unit. It's located on the right inner fender. The filter should be replaced at least every 24,000 miles. A dirty filter will starve the engine and cause poor running.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
510, 610, 710 and 1977-79 200SX
- Locate fuel filter on right side of the engine compartment.
- Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses from the fuel filter. Make certain that the inlet hose (bottom) doesn't fall below the fuel tank level or the gasoline will drain out.
- Pry the fuel filter from its clip and replace the assembly.
- Replace the inlet, outlet lines and hose clamps. Secure the hose clamps to prevent leaks.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
These models utilize an electric fuel pump. The pressure on these models must be released before removing the fuel filter.
- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Disconnect the cold start valve harness connector.
- Use two jumper wires and connect one side of each to a terminal on the cold start valve connector.
Be sure to keep both terminals separate in order to avoid short circuiting.
- Connect the two remaining terminals of the jumper wires to the negative and positive battery terminals in order to release the pressure in the fuel system.
- Unfasten the clamps securing the fuel lines to the inlet and outlet sides of the fuel filter and then remove the fuel lines.
- Remove the fuel filter.
- Install new fuel filter with new hose clamps. Replace fuel lines if necessary.
- Reconnect the cold start valve harness connector.
- Connect the negative cable to the battery.
- Start engine and check for leaks.