REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1977-86 200SX Models
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, if necessary, and remove the bolt securing the exhaust pipe to the transmission mounting insulator.
- Remove the bolt holding the worm shaft to the rubber coupling.
- Remove the nut holding the pitman arm to the sector shaft and remove the pitman arm.
- Remove the steering gear attaching bolts and then remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Install the steering gear with attaching bolts to the vehicle.
- Install the pitman arm assembly to the selector shaft.
- Connect the worm shaft to the rubber coupling.
- Reconnect the exhaust system if necessary. Check the wheel alignment after installation.
Refer to the procedure above as a guide for Removal and Installation of the manual steering gear. The front steering (non rack and pinion) gear used in these vehicles is very similar as the above.1982-84 810/Maxima Models
These vehicles use a rack and pinion steering gear type.
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely and remove the front wheels.
- Remove the lower joint from the steering column at the rubber coupling.
- Remove the lower joint assembly from the pinion.
- Remove the side rod studs from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the gear housing-to-crossmember bolts and then remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure.