REMOVAL & ADJUSTMENT
1980-81 200SX and 1982-84 810/Maxima Models
- Remove the air cleaner and remove the bolt securing the U-joint to the worm shaft.
- Disconnect and plug the hoses from the power steering gear.
- Remove the pitman arm from the sector shaft, using a suitable puller.
- Remove the steering gear securing bolts and remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure.
These vehicles use a rack and pinion type power steering gear.
- Remove the bolt securing the lower shaft to power steering gear assembly.
- Disconnect the hoses from the power steering gear and plug the hoses to prevent leakage.
- Remove the power steering gear mounting bolts.
- Remove the exhaust pipe mounting nut.
- Disconnect the control cable or linkage for the transmission and position it out of the way.
- Remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
- Install the steering gear to the vehicle. Tighten the clamp retaining bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs.
- Connect the control cable or linkage to the transmission and install the exhaust system.
- Reconnect the hoses to the power steering gear. Install the bolt securing the lower shaft to power steering gear assembly.
- Check the fluid level. Start the engine check for leaks and for proper operation of the system.