The spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the steering column is separated from the steering gear assembly. Be sure to secure the steering wheel to avoid turning.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disarm the SRS system.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the power steering fluid.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
- Remove the undercover.
- If equipped with 4WD, remove the final drive, then support the halfshafts, using wire.
- Remove the stabilizer bar brackets, and position the stabilizer bar aside.
- Remove and discard the cotter pins at the steering outer sockets. Loosen the outer socket locknuts.
- Remove the steering gear outer sockets from the steering knuckles, using tool HT72520000 (J-25730-A) or equivalent.
- Disconnect and plug the power steering fluid lines at the steering gear.
- Remove the bolt from the lower joint of the lower joint assembly. Separate the lower joint from the steering gear assembly. Be careful not to damage the lower joint.
- Remove the steering gear retaining nuts and bolts. Remove the steering gear from the vehicle.
With the steering wheel in the straight ahead position, align the slit of the lower joint with the projection on the dust cover. Insert the joint until both surfaces contact each other.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Check and adjust the front alignment, as required.
- Bleed the power steering system.
Fill the power steering pump with the proper grade and type fluid.
NOTEAfter removing/installing or replacing steering and suspension components which effect wheel alignment or after adjusting wheel alignment, or the steering angle sensor or the ABS actuator electrical unit be sure to adjust the neutral position of the steering angle sensor before running the vehicle.
- Position the steering wheel in the straight ahead position.
- Drive the vehicle at 10 mph for more than 10 minutes.
- When this procedure is complete the SLP indicator lamp and the VDC OFF indicator lamp will turn off.