REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2Front Cable
- Remove the center console assembly.
- Loosen and remove the parking brake cable adjusting nut at the base of the parking brake lever.
- From under the vehicle, disconnect the parking brake cables at the equalizer.
- Unbolt the parking brake lever from the center console.
- Unbolt and remove the front parking brake cable from the vehicle.
- Install the front parking brake cable into the parking brake lever and start the adjusting nut on the front cable.
- Install the lever and cable assembly into the vehicle. Tighten the mounting bolts to 9-12 ft. lbs. (13-16 Nm).
- From under the vehicle, connect the parking brake cables at the equalizer.
- Install the center console assembly.
- Remove the rear wheel and the brake drum or disc assembly.
- At the cable adjuster, loosen the adjusting nut, then separate the rear cable from the equalizer.
- On rear drum brakes, remove the brake shoes from the backing plate, then separate the rear cable from the toggle lever.
- On rear disc brakes, remove the cable retainer and the cable end from the toggle lever.
- Remove the bolts that secure the cable to the vehicle under body.
- Pull the cable through the backing plate and remove it from the vehicle.
- Connect the cable to the toggle lever and tighten the cable retainer nut on the backing plate to 9-12 ft. lbs. (13-16 Nm).
- Install the bolts that secure the cable to the vehicle under body and tighten the bolt to 45-57 inch lbs. (5.1-6.5 Nm).
- At the cable equalizer, connect the parking brake cable and tighten the bolt or mounting nut to 9-12 ft. lbs. (13-16 Nm).
- Install the disc brake rotor and wheel assembly.
- Adjust the parking brake cable.
Make sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted prior to adjusting the parking brake.
- Pull the parking brake lever with 44 lbs. of force and note the number of notches.
- The parking brake lever should raise 8-11 notches.
- Locate the parking brake adjuster at the base of the hand lever and rotate the adjuster nut on the threaded rod to obtain the proper parking brake lever adjustment.
- Bend the parking brake warning lamp switch plate so that brake warning light comes on when parking brake lever is pulled up 1 notch. The brake light should turn off when the lever is fully released.