Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the side lids, located on the steering wheel.
- Remove the right and left side special (Torx) bolts.
Lift up on the air bag module.
- Disconnect the air bag harness connectors. Remove the air bag module.
- Remove the steering wheel locknut.
- Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
Loosen the spiral cable retaining screws. Remove the spiral cable.
NOTEDo not disassemble the spiral cable. Do not apply lubricant to the spiral cable.
Disconnect the horn switch connector, and then the spiral cable connector.
NOTEWith the steering linkage disconnected, the spiral cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the limited number of turns. The spiral cable can be turned counterclockwise about 2.5 turns from the right end position.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel. Make sure that the spiral cable is in the neutral position.
NOTEThe neutral position is detected by turning to the left 2.5 revolutions from the right end position and ending with the knob at the top. The spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the cable is installed incorrectly. Also, with the steering linkage disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the limited number of turns (2.5 from the neutral position to both the left and right).
- Tighten the steering wheel retaining nut to 25 ft. lbs.
- When reinstalling the air bag module, be sure to use new bolts. Tighten the bolts to 8 ft. lbs.
- Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON and make sure that the air bag warning lamp blinks.