Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Properly release the fuel system pressure.
- Properly drain the engine coolant. Be sure the engine is cold before performing this operation.
- Remove the front wiper arm and extension cowl top panel (lower and upper).
- Remove the upper and lower intake manifold collectors.
- Separate the engine harness by removing the brackets from the valve covers.
- Remove the ignition coil.
- Remove the PCV hoses from the valve cover. Remove the PCV valve and O-ring from the valve cover, right bank if necessary.
- Remove the oil filler cap and oil catcher from the valve cover, left bank if necessary.
Loosen the valve cover retaining bolts. Reverse the order shown in the illustration.
- Remove the valve cover from the engine.
Use a scraper and remove all old gasket material from the cylinder head and camshaft bracket (No. 1).
NOTEBe sure not to scratch the mating surfaces with the scraper when removing the gasket material.
Apply genuine RTV silicone sealant or equivalent to the joints of the valve cover, cylinder head and camshaft bracket (N0. 1) as shown in the illustration.
- Refer to figure -A- in the illustration to apply liquid gasket to the joint part of the camshaft (No. 1) and cylinder head.
- Refer to figure -B- in the illustration to apply liquid gasket to the figure -A- squarely.
- Install a new valve cover gasket to the valve cover.
Install the valve cover. Torque the retaining bolts to 17 inch lbs. and then to 74 inch lbs., in the proper sequence as shown in the illustration.
NOTEBe sure that the gasket has not dropped from the grove prior to installation.
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- When installing the PCV hose, insert it 0.98-1.18 inch from the connector end.
- When installing the PCV hose between the right and left valve covers be sure the identification paint mark is facing upward (right cover side).