Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Properly release the fuel system pressure.
- Properly drain the engine coolant. Be sure the engine is cold before performing this operation.
- Remove the front wiper arm and extension cowl top panel (lower and upper).
- Remove the upper and lower intake manifold collectors.
- Separate the engine harness by removing the brackets from the valve covers.
- Remove the ignition coil.
- Remove the PCV hoses from the valve cover. Remove the PCV valve and O-ring from the valve cover, right bank if necessary.
- Remove the oil filler cap and oil catcher from the valve cover, left bank if necessary.
Loosen the valve cover retaining bolts. Reverse the order shown in the illustration.
- Remove the valve cover from the engine.
Use a scraper and remove all old gasket material from the cylinder head and camshaft bracket (No. 1).
NOTEBe sure not to scratch the mating surfaces with the scraper when removing the gasket material.
Apply genuine RTV silicone sealant or equivalent to the joints of the valve cover, cylinder head and camshaft bracket (N0. 1) as shown in the illustration.