Before servicing, or working around, the SRS system, turn the ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery cables and wait at least three minutes. When servicing, or working around, the SRS system do not work directly in front of the air bag module.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
- Remove the side lids, located on the steering wheel.
- Remove the right and left side special (Torx) bolts.
- Lift up on the air bag module.
- Disconnect the air bag harness connectors. Remove the air bag module.
- Disconnect the steering switch connector.
- Remove the steering wheel locknut.
- Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the retaining screw of the tilt lever knob. Remove the lever knob from the lever.
- Remove the instrument driver lower panel.
- Remove the steering column cover and ignition key finisher.
- Remove the NATS antenna amp.
- Remove the retaining screws holding the knee protector in place. Remove the knee protector.
Loosen the spiral cable retaining screws. Remove the spiral cable.
NOTEDo not disassemble the spiral cable. Do not apply lubricant to the spiral cable.
- Disconnect the horn switch connector, and then the spiral cable connector.
- Remove the combination switch.
- Disconnect the harness connector from each switch on the steering column shaft and separate the vehicle side harness from it. Remove the locknut, then separate the lower joint from the upper joint.
Remove the retaining nuts from the steering member. Remove the steering column assembly from the steering member.
- Remove the retaining bolt and nut from the upper joint. Remove the upper joint collar from the steering column assembly and lower shaft.
- Remove the hole cover seal and clamp.
- Remove the retaining nuts, then remove the hole cover from the dash panel.
Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the mounting bolt (lower side) of the lower joint. Remove the lower joint.
- Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Be sure the front wheels are in the straight position.
Be sure to align the spiral cable correctly when installing the steering wheel. Make sure that the spiral cable is in the neutral position.
NOTEThe neutral position is detected by turning to the left 2.5 revolutions from the right end position and ending with the knob at the top. The spiral cable may snap due to steering operation if the cable is installed incorrectly. Also, with the steering linkage disconnected the cable may snap by turning the steering wheel beyond the limited number of turns (2.5 from the neutral position to both the left and right).
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- When reinstalling the air bag module, be sure to use new bolts. Tighten the bolts to 8 ft. lbs.
- Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON and make sure that the air bag warning lamp blinks.
Check the tilt device and its operational range.
- Check the full left and right steering wheel turning diameter. Be sure the wheel turns smoothly.