Make sure you keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the master cylinder while you are bleeding the brakes. Also, this procedure requires the use of an assistant.
Fill reservoir with DOT3 brake fluid from a new, sealed container. Make sure it is full at all times while bleeding air out of system.
- Place a rag or container under master cylinder to catch any spilled brake fluid.
- Turn the ignition OFF and disconnect the ABS actuator and electric unit connectors or negative battery cable.
Bleed the air from the brakes in the following order:
- LSV air bleeder (1996-01 4WD models only)
- Left rear brake
- Right rear brake
- Left front brake
- Right front brake
- Connect a transparent vinyl tube to the air bleeder valve.
Have an assistant fully depress the brake pedal several times.
- With the brake pedal depressed, open the air bleeder valve to release air.
- Close the air bleeder valve.
- Slowly release the brake pedal.
- Repeat steps 6 through 9 until clear brake fluid comes out of the air bleeder valve.
- Tighten air bleeder valve to 61-78 inch lbs. (7-9 Nm).