- Adjust clearance between the shoe and drum as follows:
- Pull the parking brake control lever 4-5 notches. Then adjust the lever by turning the adjusting nut.
- Pull control lever with 44 lbs. (196 N) of force.
- On 1996-98 vehicles, check that the lever stroke is 7-9 notches, and operation is smooth.
On 1998 and later vehicles, check that the lever stroke is 6-8 notches, and operation is smooth.
- Bend the warning lamp switch plate to ensure the following:
- Remove the driver-s side lower instrument panel.
- Partially depress the parking brake pedal to access the adjusting nut.
Insert a deep socket wrench to rotate the adjusting nut and loosen the cable until tension is sufficiently released. Then, disengage the parking brake pedal.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the rotor and measure inner diameter at widest point using a suitable Drum Brake Clearance Gauge tool.
Transfer the measurement, minus 0.6 mm, to the parking brake shoes and adjust accordingly.
- Using the lug nuts, secure the rotor to the hub to prevent it from tilting.
- Rotate the disc rotor to make sure there is no drag.
Adjust the cable as follows:
- Operate the parking brake pedal 10 or more times with a force of 110 lbs. (490 N).
- Rotate the adjusting nut with deep socket to adjust pedal stroke to specification. Pedal stroke : 4-5 notches under force of 44 lbs. (196 N).
- With parking brake pedal completely disengaged, make sure there is no drag on the parking brake.