3.3L & 3.5L Engines
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure, as outlined in the Fuel System Section.
- Remove the undercover.
- Remove the suspension member stay.
- Drain the coolant from radiator.
- Remove the engine cover.
- Remove the air duct with air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect any necessary hoses and/or harnesses.
- Remove the upper intake manifold corrector.
- Remove the intake manifold corrector support bolts.
- Remove the lower intake manifold corrector.
- Disconnect injector harness connectors.
- Remove the injector tube.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Remove the water outlet housing and water control valve.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. For installation, use a new gasket and tighten the retainers to the specifications shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant into a suitable container. Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant.
- Remove the upper and lower radiator hoses. Remove the fan shroud.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Remove the pulley bracket.
- Remove the water inlet and thermostat assembly.
- Installation is in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Be sure to install the thermostat with the jiggle valve or air bleeder at the upper side.
- Apply a continuous 0.079-0.118 inch bead of RTV sealant to the thermostat housing.
- Be sure to refill the radiator with the proper grade and type engine coolant.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
CAUTIONMake sure the engine is cold before draining the coolant! Do not spill coolant on the drive belts.
- Completely drain the engine coolant.
- Remove the air duct and air cleaner case.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose and oil cooler hose from water inlet and thermostat assembly.
Remove the retainers and the water inlet and thermostat assembly.
WARNINGDo not disassemble water inlet and thermostat assembly. Replace them as an assembly, if necessary.
Check the valve seating condition at ordinary room temperatures. It should seat tightly. Check valve operation:
- Valve opening temperature 80.5 - 83.5°C (177 - 182°F)
- Maximum valve lift 8.6 mm / 95°C (0.339 in / 203°F)
- Valve closing temperature 77°C (171°F)
If the malfunctioning condition, when valve seating at ordinary room temperature, or measured values are out of the standard, replace water inlet and thermostat assembly.
Installation is in the reverse order of removal, noting the following:
- Tighten the thermostat retainers to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Be careful not to spill engine coolant in the engine compartment. Use rags to absorb engine coolant.
- Check for leaks of engine coolant using a suitable pressure tool.
- Start and warm up the engine. Make sure there are no coolant leaks.