- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove the or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Water pump. Tighten the bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm).
- Fill the cooling system.
Start the engine and check for leaks.
3.5L & 4.0L Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the cooling system
- Remove the undercover.
- Remove the suspension member stay.
- Remove the radiator shrouds.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Remove the cooling fan.
- Remove the water drain plug on water pump side of cylinder block.
- Remove the chain tensioner cover and water pump cover.
- Pushing timing chain tensioner sleeve, apply a stopper pin so it does not return. Then remove the chain tensioner assembly.
- Remove the 3 water pump mounting bolts. Secure a gap between water pump gear and timing chain, by turning crankshaft pulley 20° backwards.
- Put M8 bolts to two water pump fixing bolt holes.
Tighten M8 bolts by turning half turn alternately until they reach timing chain rear case.
NOTEIn order to prevent damages to water pump or timing chain rear case, do not tighten one bolt continuously. Always turn each bolt half turn each time.
Lift up water pump and remove it.
NOTEWhen lifting up water pump, do not allow water pump gear to hit timing chain.
- Apply engine oil and coolant to O-rings as shown in the figure.
Install water pump.
NOTEDo not allow cylinder block to nip O-rings when installing water pump.
- Before installing, remove all traces of liquid gasket from mating surface of water pump cover and chain tensioner cover using a scraper. Also remove traces of liquid gasket from mating surface of front cover.
- Apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket to mating surface of chain tensioner cover and water pump cover. Use Genuine RTV silicone sealant or equivalent.
- Return the crankshaft pulley to its original position by turning it 20° forward.
Install timing chain tensioner, then remove the stopper pin.
NOTEWhen installing the timing chain tensioner, engine oil should be applied to the oil hole and tensioner.
NOTEAfter starting engine, let idle for three minutes, then rev engine up to 3,000 rpm under no load to purge air from the high-pressure chamber of the chain tensioners. The engine may produce a rattling noise. This indicates that air still remains in the chamber and is not a matter of concern.
Reinstall any parts removed in reverse order of removal.