REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 4, 5 and 6All Four Cylinder Gasoline Engines
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The oil pump is mounted externally on the engine, eliminating the need to remove the oil pan in order to remove the oil pump.
- Remove the distributor.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Remove the front stabilizer bar.
- Remove the splash shield board.
- Loosen the mounting bolts and remove the oil pump body with the drive spindle assembly.
- Before installing the oil pump in the engine, turn the crankshaft so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke.
- Fill the pump housing with engine oil, then align the punch mark on the spindle with the hole in the oil pump.
- With a new gasket placed over the drive spindle, install the oil pump and drive spindle assembly so that the projection on the top of the drive spindle is located in the 11:25 o'clock position (between 11 and 12 o'clock).
- Install the distributor with the metal tip of the rotor pointing toward the No. 1 spark plug tower of the distributor cap.
- Install the splash shield and front stabilizer bar.
- Refill the engine with oil. Start the engine, check ignition timing and check for oil leaks.
See Figure 7
- Remove the oil pan. Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the crankshaft timing sprocket (it may be necessary to use a puller) and the timing belt plate.
- Remove the oil pump strainer and pick-up tube from the oil pump.
- Loosen the oil pump retaining bolts and then remove the oil pump.
- Use new gaskets (use silicone sealant), and a new oil seal. Tighten the 6mm bolts to 4-5 ft. lbs. (6-7 Nm) and the 8mm bolts to 9-12 ft. lbs. (12-16 Nm). Refill the engine with oil.
Before installing the oil pump, be sure to pack the pump's cavity with petroleum jelly, then make sure the O-ring is properly fitted.
- Connect the oil strainer and pick-up tube to the pump body.
- Install the timing belt plate and the crankshaft pulley.
- Install the timing belt and front cover. Start the engine and check for any leaks.
See Figures 8 and 9
- Remove the oil pump drive spindle.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Unbolt and remove the oil pump. Discard the gasket.
- Using a new gasket, install the oil pump. Tighten the bolts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-12 Nm) on the SD22 and 9-14 ft. lbs. (13-19 Nm) on the SD25
- Install the drive spindle by aligning it with the oil pump driveshaft groove in the cylinder block and the camshaft oil pump drive gear.
- Place a new O-ring on the spindle support and bolt it to the block.
- Install the oil pan and fill the engine with oil. Start the engine and check for leaks.