REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14All Four Cylinder Gasoline Engines
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, drain the cooling system, and remove the radiator together with the upper and lower radiator hoses.
- Loosen the alternator drive belt adjusting screw and remove the drive belt. Remove the bolts which attach the alternator bracket to the engine and position the alternator aside out of the way.
- Remove the distributor.
- Remove the oil pump attaching screws, then take out the pump and its drive spindle.
- Remove the cooling fan and the fan pulley together with the drive belt.
- Remove the water pump.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and then remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the bolts holding the front cover to the front of the cylinder block, the four bolts which retain the front of the oil pan to the bottom of the front cover and the two bolts which are screwed down through the front of the cylinder head; into the top of the front cover.
- Carefully pry the front cover off the front of the engine.
- Cut the exposed front section of the oil pan gasket away from the oil pan. Do the same to the gasket at the top of the front cover. Remove the two side gaskets and clean all of the mating surfaces.
- Cut the portions needed from a new oil pan gasket and top front cover gasket.
- Apply sealer to all of the gaskets and position them on the engine in their proper places.
- Apply a light coating of oil to the crankshaft oil seal and carefully mount in the front cover to the front of the engine and install all of the mounting bolts. Tighten the 8mm bolts to 7-12 ft. lbs. (10-16 Nm) and the 6mm bolts to 3-7 ft. lbs. (4-10 Nm). Tighten the oil pan attaching bolts to 4-7 ft. lb. (6-8 Nm).
- Before installing the oil pump, place the gasket over the shaft and make sure that the mark on the drive spindle faces (aligned with) the oil pump hole. Install the oil pump so that the projection on the top of the shaft is located in the exact position as when it was removed. Make sure the projection is at the 11:25 o'clock position (between 11 and 12 o'clock) when the piston in the No. 1 cylinder is placed at TDC on the compression stroke, if the engine was disturbed since disassembly. Tighten the oil pump attaching screws to 8-10 ft. lbs. (11-15 Nm).
- Install the crankshaft pulley and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 87-116 ft. lbs. (118-157 Nm).
- Install the water pump with a new gasket. Install the fan pulley and cooling fan. Install the drive belt and adjust the belt to the correct tension.
- Install the distributor in the correct position. Reconnect the alternator bracket and alternator if it was removed. Install the drive belt and adjust the belt to the correct tension.
- Install the radiator, reconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses, then refill the cooling system.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Start the engine, check ignition timing and check for leaks.