REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
SD22 and SD25 Engines
See Figure 1
A 41mm (1.614 in.) socket is needed for this procedure.
- Remove the fan and pulley.
- Remove the water pump by-pass hose and allow the cooling system to drain below the level of the water pump.
- Remove the three bolts, then lift the water pump and gasket off the block. Discard the gasket.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley nut with a 41mm socket.
- Drive the pulley from the crankshaft with a wooden or plastic mallet.
- Remove the 5 bolts and lift the timing gear cover from the case.
- Install the timing gear cover to the cylinder block. Always replace the cover oil seal and use a new cover gasket. Tighten the cover mounting bolts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-13 Nm).
- Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the nut to 217-239 ft. lbs. (294-324 Nm).
- Install the water pump.
Do not tighten the water pump bolts until the belt adjuster is installed when installing the alternator.
- Install the water pump by-pass hose, the pulley and cooling fan. Refill the engine with coolant, start the engine and check for leaks.