REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
SD22 and SD25 Engines
See Figure 1
A 41mm (1.614 in.) socket is needed for this procedure.
- Remove the fan and pulley.
- Remove the water pump by-pass hose and allow the cooling system to drain below the level of the water pump.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Remove the three bolts, then lift the water pump and gasket off the block. Discard the gasket.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley nut with a 41mm socket.
- Drive the pulley from the crankshaft with a wooden or plastic mallet.
- Remove the 5 bolts and lift the timing gear cover from the case.
- Install the timing gear cover to the cylinder block. Always replace the cover oil seal and use a new cover gasket. Tighten the cover mounting bolts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-13 Nm).
- Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the nut to 217-239 ft. lbs. (294-324 Nm).
- Install the water pump.
Do not tighten the water pump bolts until the belt adjuster is installed when installing the alternator.
- Install the water pump by-pass hose, the pulley and cooling fan. Refill the engine with coolant, start the engine and check for leaks.