REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
SD22 and SD25 Engines
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
The following procedure requires the use of special tools.
- Remove the timing gear cover.
- Remove the timing gear round nut.
- Using timer extractor #57926-581, thread the tool into the timer weight holder. Remove the timing gear assembly by threading the extractor tool bolt.
- Unbolt and remove the camshaft gear set.
- Remove the oil slinger. Unbolt the crankshaft gear and remove it with a two-armed gear puller.
- Install the camshaft gear.
- Install the crankshaft gear and oil slinger while carefully aligning the timing marks as shown. Measure the gear backlash. Backlash should be 0.0028-0.0079 in. (0.071-0.200mm).
- With the No. 1 piston at TDC, mesh the timing gear and idler gear at the Y marks. After aligning the gear with the keyway, secure the timer assembly with a lock washer and the round nut. Tighten the nut to 50-58 ft. lbs. (68-79 Nm).
- Install the timing gear cover.
If the gear case oil jet was removed, install in the relationship as shown.