REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Drain the cooling system.
- Unfasten the fan shroud securing bolts and remove the fan shroud, if so equipped.
- Loosen the alternator adjusting link bolt and remove the drive belt.
- Repeat Step 3 for the air and/or power steering pump drive belt, if so equipped.
- On the SD22 and SD25, detach the by-pass hose from the water pump.
- Unfasten the water pump retaining bolts (note the different size bolts on the VG30i), then remove the water pump and fan assembly, using care not to damage the radiator with the fan.
If the fan is equipped with a fluid coupling, do not tip the fan/pump assembly on its side, as the fluid will run out.
- Remove all traces of gasket and/or sealant from the pump-to-cover mounting surfaces. Install the water pump. Tighten the M6 mounting bolts to 3-7 ft. lbs. (4-10 Nm) and the M8 bolts to 7-12 ft. lbs. (10-16 Nm) on 4 cylinder gasoline engines; the M6 bolts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (10-13 Nm) and the M8 bolts to 14-18 ft. lbs. (20-25 Nm) on SD22 and SD25 engines; and, 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-21 Nm) on the VG30i. Always use a new gasket between the pump body and its mounting.
- Install the drive belt and adjust the tension.
- Refill the cooling system, start the engine and check for leaks.