REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION of the windshield may require two people. Use this service procedure as guide for later
- Place protective covers over the hood, front fender, seat and instrument panel.
- On earlier models remove the inside rear view mirror and sun visor.
- On 1979 and later models, remove the windshield wiper arms.
- Remove the windshield moldings by carefully prying them out.
- On 1979 and later models, remove the cowl top grille, and then remove the windshield retainer, if so equipped.
- Using a putty knife or similar flat-bladed tool, pry the lips of the weatherstrip out of place from the top and side flanges of the body opening.
Be careful not to damage the weatherstrip if it is to be reused.
- Working from inside the vehicle, push the windshield glass out of the body opening by hand, starting at the right and left upper corners and working out towards the ends.
- After removing the weatherstrip from the top and sides of the body opening, lift the glass up sufficiently to permit removal of the weatherstrip from the bottom flange; pry the weatherstrip out of position.
See Figure 1
- Fit the weatherstrip on the glass, making sure it is correctly seated and positioned.
- Apply adhesive to the appropriate portions of the weatherstrip.
On models through 1978, adhesive is not necessary.
- Install a strong cord in the groove of the weatherstrip where the body flange fits. Tie the ends of the cord and tape to the inside surface of the glass at the bottom center of the glass.
- Position and center the windshield glass in the body opening.
Do not tap or hammer at any time to position the glass.
- When the glass and weatherstrip are properly positioned in the body opening, slowly pull the ends of the cord, starting at the lower center of the windshield to seat the lip of the weatherstrip over the body flange.
- The cord should be pulled across the bottom of the windshield, then up each side and finally across the windshield top.
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse of removal.