REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Perform Steps 1-4 of the Upper Ball Joint removal procedure.
- Remove the bolts retaining the upper arm pivot shaft and remove the shaft, arm and camber adjusting shims from the body. Note the location of the shims so that they may be installed in their original positions during assembly.
- To remove the upper arm shaft and bushings from the arm, remove the nuts and washers from the shaft. Use a press, first on one end of the shaft and then the other, to press out the bushings. Remove the shaft.
- Coat the bushing with soapy water and press it into the upper arm. Install the washers onto the shaft and install the shaft into the arm. Be sure the chamfered side of the washer is against the shaft flange. Measure the distance between the outer collar on the bushing and the washer on the shaft (dimension C in the illustration); it should exceed 0.177 in. (4.5mm).
- Press the other bushing into the arm, and check dimension C . Also check the distance between the outer collars of both bushings (dimension D ) and the distance between the end of the bushing and the centerline of the shaft mounting bolt bore (dimension E ). D should be 5.69-5.77 in. (144.6-146.6mm); E should be 1.114 in. (28.3mm).
- Rotate the pivot shaft in the arm until the angle is as specified in the illustration. Install the nuts and washers on the shaft. Tighten the bushings to 56-76 ft. lbs.
- Install the upper arm and shaft assembly to the body, replacing the camber shims in their original locations. Tighten the bolts to 80-108 ft. lbs.
- Follow Step 6 of the upper ball joint removal procedure.
See Figures 3 and 4
- Separate the upper ball joint from the knuckle as previously described.
- Disconnect the shock absorber at the upper end.
- Unbolt the control arm spindle. Lift out the control arm.
- The bushings may now be pressed out form both sides of the control arm.
- Apply a soapy solution to new bushings and press them into position in one end of the arm, so that the flange on the bushing firmly contacts the end surface of the upper link collar.
- Install the spindle and press in the remaining bushings.
The inner washers are installed with the rounded edges facing inward.
- Temporarily tighten the spindle end nuts.
- Install the upper ball joint.
- Bolt the control arm to the frame. Tighten the bolts to 80-108 ft. lbs. (109-147 Nm).
- Tighten the spindle end nut with camber adjusting shims. Torque the nuts to 52-76 ft. lbs. (71-83 Nm). Check the dimensions A and B in the illustration. Dimension A should be 5.34-5.42 in. (135.6-137.6mm) for 1984-86 models (720D series); or 4.33 (110mm) for 1986-88 models (D21D series). Dimension B should be 1.114 in. (28.3mm) for the 720D series; or 1.26 in. (32mm) for the D21D series.
- Install the ball joint to the knuckle and check the front end alignment.