The fuel tank is located under the floor of the bed on the right side, directly behind the cab. ALWAYS REFER TO THE ILLUSTRATIONS BEFORE STARTING SERVICE REPAIR. DISPOSE OF ANY GASOLINE IN THE PROPER MANNER, IF NECESSARY.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
- Remove the drain plug at the bottom of the tank and drain the fuel into a suitable container.
- Disconnect the filler tube from the filler hose.
- Disconnect the ventilation hoses, the fuel return hose and fuel outlet hose from the tank. Disconnect the gauge unit wires at the electrical connector.
- Remove the mounting bolts and remove the fuel tank.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. When installing, tighten the clamps EVENLY and securely, but do not crimp any of the lines. Install the clips holding the fuel tube to the underbody securely. Do not attach the filler hose to the tube until the tank is in place. Failure to do this will cause leaks around the connection.
The fuel tank must be removed for access to the gauge unit. The unit is installed into the tank with a bayonet type of mount. Turn it counterclockwise with a screwdriver to remove. Use a new O-ring when installing, aligning the tab in the unit with the notch in the tank.