See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise the rear of the vehicle until the rear wheels clear the ground.
- Adjust the rear brakes as outlined under Brake System Adjustment.
- Loosen the locknut at the parking cable lever assembly mounted on the driveshaft center bearing crossmember.
- Turn the adjusting nut until the parking brake control lever operating stroke is 6-10 notches on 1970-83 models; 13-16 notches 1984-86 models (720D series); 10-12 notches (center lever and 2wd with stick lever) and 9-11 notches (4wd with stick lever) on 1986-87 models (D21-D series); 1988 models are the same except for Pathfinders with a center lever where is should be 7-9 notches. Notches are measured from the rest position (in or down) to the full-on position (out or up).
- Release the parking brake and make sure that the rear wheels turn freely with no drag.
- On 1986-88 models (D21-D series), the brake warning light should come on after 1 notch (pickups with center lever) or 2 notches (pickups with stick lever and Pathfinders with center lever). If not, adjust the switch.
- Lower the vehicle.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 6, 7 and 8
- Fully release the parking brake control lever.
- Loosen the adjusting nut at the cable lever mounted to the frame crossmember.
- Disconnect the cable from the control lever.
- Remove the rear brake drums, and disconnect the parking brake cables from the parking brake toggle levers of the rear service brake assemblies.
- Remove the lockplate, spring and clip, and pull the parking brake cable out toward the cable lever.
- Remove the cotter pin at the cable lever and disconnect the cable.
- Install the cables in the reverse order of removal. Apply a light coat of grease to the cables to make sure that they slide properly. Adjust the parking brakes.