INSPECTION AND TESTING
Inspect and test the rear shock absorbers in the same manner as outlined for the front shock absorbers.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Raise the rear of the vehicle.
- Support the rear axle housing with jackstands.
- Unfasten the upper shock absorber retaining nuts and/or bolts from the upper frame member.
- Depending upon the type of rear spring used, either disconnect the lower end of the shock absorber from the spring seat, or the rear axle housing, by removing its cotter pins, nuts and/or bolts.
- Remove the shock absorber. Inspect the shock for wear, leaks, or other signs of damage.
- Install the shock absorber and tighten the upper bolts to 22-30 ft. lbs. (30-40 Nm).
Tighten the shock absorber lower bolt to:
12-16 ft. lbs. (16-22 Nm) on all 1970-86 2wd models (720D series)