REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Position the wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the horn pad by unscrewing the two screws from the rear side of the steering wheel crossbar.
- Punchmark the top of the steering column shaft and the steering wheel flange.
- Remove the attaching nut and remove the steering wheel with a puller.
Do not strike the shaft with a hammer, which may cause the column to collapse.
- Install the steering wheel so that the punchmarks are aligned. Tighten the steering wheel attaching nut to 51-54 ft. lbs. for 1970-79 models; 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm) on 1980-86 models (720D series); and 22-29 ft. lbs. (29-39 Nm) on 1986-88 models (D21D series).
- Install the horn pad.