The electrical system in your vehicle is designed to perform under reasonable operating conditions without interference between components. Before any additional electrical equipment is installed, it is recommended that you consult your Nissan dealer or a reputable repair facility familiar with your vehicle and its systems.
If the vehicle is equipped with mobile radio equipment and/or mobile telephone it may have an effect upon the operation of the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) and Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) control module. Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) from the communications system can be picked up by the vehicle's wiring harnesses and conducted into the ECU, giving it the wrong messages at the wrong time. Although well shielded against RFI, the ECU should be further protected through the following steps:
- Install the antenna as far as possible from the ECU.
- Keep the antenna wiring a minimum of eight inches away from any wiring running to the ECU and from the ECU itself. NEVER wind the antenna wire around any other wiring.
- Mount the equipment as far from the ECU as possible. Be very careful during installation not to drill through any wires or short a wire harness with a mounting screw.
- Insure that the electrical feed wire(s) to the equipment are properly and tightly connected. Loose connectors can cause interference.
- Make certain that the equipment is properly grounded to the vehicle. Poor grounding can damage expensive equipment.
- If possible, make sure the antenna is "trimmed'' or adjusted for optimum function.