REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 14wd Models
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Matchmark the flanges and unbolt the front driveshaft at the front differential.
- Matchmark the flanges and unbolt the front driveshaft at the transfer case.
- Carefully remove the driveshaft for inspection or replacement.
- Align the matchmarks at the transfer case and install the driveshaft. Tighten the flange bolts to 29-33 ft. lbs. (39-44 Nm).
- Align the matchmarks at the front differential and install the driveshaft. Tighten the flange bolts to 29-33 ft. lbs. (39-44 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle and test for proper operation
- Matchmark the yoke and the driveshaft.
- Remove the snaprings from the bearings.
- Position the yoke on vise jaws. Using a bearing remover and a hammer, gently tap the remover until the bearing is driven out of the yoke about 1 inch (25mm).
- Place the tool in the vise and drive the yoke away from the tool until the bearing is removed.
- Repeat Steps 3 and 4 for the other bearings.
- Check for worn or damaged parts. Inspect the bearing journal surfaces for wear.
- Install the bearing cups, seals, and O-rings in the spider.
- Grease the spider and the bearings.
- Position the spider in the yoke.
- Start the bearings in the yoke, then press them into place, using a vise.
- If the axial play of the spider is greater than 0.007 in. (0.02mm), select snaprings which will provide the correct play. Be sure that the snaprings are the same size on both sides or driveshaft noise and vibration will result.