Refer to General Information & Maintenance for details on battery maintenance.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal, then disconnect the positive cable. Special pullers are available to remove the clamps.
To avoid sparks, always disconnect the negative cable first and reconnect it last.
- Unscrew and remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery, being careful not to spill any of the acid.
Spilled acid can be neutralized with a baking soda and water solution. If you somehow get acid into your eyes, flush it out with lots of clean water and get to a doctor as quickly as possible.To install:
- Clean the battery posts thoroughly.
- Clean the cable clamps using the special tools or a wire brush, both inside and out.
- Install the battery, then fasten the hold-down clamp.
- Connect the positive and then the negative cable. Do not hammer them into place. Coat the terminals with grease to prevent corrosion.