See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- The speedometer cable is connected to the speedometer by means of a press-fit. When you remove the combination meter (cluster), they simply come unplugged.
- Pull the cable from the cable housing. If the cable is broken, the other half of the cable will have to be removed from the transmission end. Unscrew the retaining knob and remove the cable from the transmission extension housing.
- Lubricate the cable with graphite powder (sold as speedometer cable lubricant, curiously enough) and feed the cable into the housing. It is best to start at the speedometer end and feed the cable down towards the transmission. It is also usually necessary to unscrew the transmission connection and install the cable end to the gear, then reconnect the housing to the transmission. Slip the cable end into the speedometer, and reconnect the cable housing.
The entire cable assembly, including the shield and cable can also be replaced. Although in most cases this is not necessary because only the cable is defective, the following procedure should be used to replace the entire unit:
- Remove the press-fit connection from the speedometer backing of the instrument cluster.
- Loosen and remove the retaining bolt which secures the cable assembly to the transmission housing. Carefully pull the cable up and away from the housing. Place a cap in the hole to prevent debris from falling in the case.
- Carefully and slowly, pull the cable through the fire wall and into the engine compartment. In some cases, the rubber grommet will pop out with the rest of the cable assembly. Remove the assembly and place on a clean table.
- The drive gear in the cable assembly must be removed and installed on the new cable. Use a small probe other other suitable device with a sharp pointed end, and insert the point into the hole in the drive gear. Press down on the clip inside the hole and separate the gear from the cable.
- Insert the gear on to the new cable and press until the gear clicks into place.
- Remove the cap from the transmission hole and insert the gear into the transmission body. Feed the other end through the firewall into the interior. Make sure the grommet seats correctly to the firewall.
- Secure the cable to the transmission using the retaining bolt.
- Connect the press-fit end of the cable assembly to the speedometer. Listen for the click, to ensure a secure fit.
- Install the instrument cluster using the procedure outlined earlier.