The combination switch is the entire assembly of lever controlled switches which are mounted on the steering column. This includes the headlight, turn signal, and if equipped, cruise control switch on the left-hand side of the column, and the wiper/washer control switch on the right-hand side. These switches are secured to a central switch base by means of retaining screws. Using this procedure you may remove the entire combination switch and base assembly, or you can replace either of the individual switches.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 12
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel as outlined earlier.
- From under the steering column, unthread the two retaining screws securing the lower portion of the column cover. Once the screws are removed, carefully separate and remove the upper and lower column cover portions.
- Trace the switch wiring harness to the multi-connector(s). Mark and tag the individual harnesses. Once the tagging is complete, push in the lock levers and pull apart the connectors. If only one of the switches is being replaced, then only the wiring on that side of the column must be disconnected.
- If the entire switch assembly is being removed, first check behind the assembly for any retaining screw(s). It may be necessary to rotate or tilt the base slightly to free the alignment tab, then carefully pull the switch and base assembly from the steering column. BE very careful not to break the alignment tab on the switch base.
- If one or more of the switches are being replaced, unfasten the mounting screws, then remove the switch from the base assembly.
- Position the switch to the switch base, and secure using the mounting screws tightened evenly.
- If removed, install the switch base assembly to the steering column. Be sure to align the tab on the switch body with the hole in the steering column. Make sure the base is secured in position, if applicable, install the retaining screw(s).
- Connect the switch harnesses.
- Install the steering wheel column covers, making sure the tabs connect correctly. Secure from under the steering wheel using the retaining screws tightened evenly. Position the steering wheel on the column and secure as outlined earlier.
- Connect the negative battery cable.