REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the fan shroud.
- Unfasten the nut from the center of the pump pulley.
Use the drive belt as a brake to keep the pulley from rotating.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Remove the pulley and the bracket from the pump shaft.
- Detach the intake and outlet hoses from the pump reservoir.
Tie the hose ends up high so the fluid cannot flow out of them. Drain or plug the pump to prevent fluid leakage.
- Remove the bolt from the rear mounting brace.
- Remove the bracket bolts and then remove the pump.
- Install the pump and tighten the pump pulley mounting bolt to 23-31 ft. lbs. (31-42 Nm) on Z24i engines and 40-50 ft. lbs. (54-68 Nm) on all other engines.
- Adjust the pump drive belt tension. Refer to procedures in General Information & Maintenance .
- Fill the reservoir with DexronII automatic transmission fluid. Bleed the air from the system.
- Raise the front of the truck and support it securely with jackstands.
- Fill the pump reservoir with DexronII automatic transmission fluid.
- Rotate the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. Add fluid as necessary.
Never hold the steering wheel in the lock position for more than 15 seconds.
- Repeat Step 3 until the fluid level in the reservoir remains the same.
- Start the engine. With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times.
- Lower the front of the truck and repeat Step 5.
- Center the wheel at the midpoint of its travel. Stop the engine.
- The fluid level should not have risen more than 5mm.
- Check for fluid leakage.