Mode Door Motor
See Figure 1
The mode door determines the air flow through the air distribution system depending on the mode selected (vent, defrost, etc.). The door linkage is located on the left side of the housing and is controlled by a motor. The motor has a built-in position sensor and will stop at the position called for by the controls. The adjustment procedure starts with the motor removed from the housing.
- With the motor removed from the housing, connect the motor wiring and set the controls to the VENT mode.
- Turn the ignition switch ON , let the motor go to its vent position, then turn the ignition OFF .
- Manually move the linkage on the housing to the vent position, install the motor and attach the linkage.
- With the ignition switch ON , cycle the system through all the modes and check the operation of the linkage.
See Figure 2
- Turn the mode control knob to the DEFROST position.
- Place the side link in the DEFROST position by hand.
- Pull the cable cover down away from the side link and then clamp the cable cover.
- After adjusting the control cable, check the system for proper operation.
See Figure 3
- With the door motor removed but wiring connected, turn the ignition switch ON and set the controls to recirculate by pushing the REC button.
- Install the motor onto the blower housing.
- Hold the door in the recirculate position and attach the linkage. Turn the REC button ON and OFF to check operation of the door.
See Figure 4
- Install the air intake door motor onto the intake unit. Be sure that the intake door motor lever is installed into the slit portion of the intake door link.
- Connect the air intake door motor electrical connector.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- Check that the air intake door motor operates correctly when the REC switch is turned ON and OFF .
See Figure 5
When adjusting the control rod, first disconnect the temperature control cable from the air mix door lever. Reconnect and adjust the temperature control cable.
- Move the air mix door lever to the left.
- Pull the control rod toward the air mix door lever to a clearance of about 0.080 in. (2.0mm) between the ends of control rod and link lever.
- Reconnect the control rod to the door lever.
- After the control rod is connected, check the control for proper operation.
This cable operates the air mix door inside the air distribution system. A control rod connects the air mix door lever and the water valve link lever on the heater core. The control rod should be adjusted first.
- To adjust the control rod, disconnect the temperature control cable from the door lever.
- The valve end of the rod is attached to the valve with a wire loop. With the rod loose at the air mix door end, move the air mix door lever and the valve lever all the way in the direction that would pull the rod away from the valve lever.
- Gently pull the rod so there is about 0.80 in. (2mm) gap between the rod and valve lever and secure the rod at the door lever.
- When attaching the temperature control lever, adjust the cable housing so the full COLD lever position will completely shut off the heat.
See Figure 6
- Move the temperature control knob to the full HOT position.
- Disconnect the temperature control cable.
- Place the air mix door lever in the full HOT position.
- Pull on the cable cover in direction away from the air mix door lever. Clamp the cable cover.
- After adjustment, check system for proper operation.