See Figure 1
The VTC solenoid valve is part of the Valve Timing Control System, found on all GA16DE engines. The purpose of the system is to achieve optimum valve timing, thus improving engine performance.
The system will vary the intake valve timing according to engine speed, and other inputs received from the coolant temperature and throttle position sensors. The ECM controls the position of the intake camshaft, by controlling the oil pressure to the intake camshaft pulley hub. When the ECM energizes the solenoid, oil pressure is supplied to the pulley hub, changing the position of the hub, thereby advancing the intake valve timing.
See Figure 2
- Remove the VTC valve from the vehicle.
- Using a fused jumper wire, apply battery voltage to terminal 1 , and ground to terminal 2 .
- If the valve is functioning correctly, the plunger shaft in the valve should be extended.
- If the plunger is not extended, replace the VTC solenoid.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the VTC valve.
- Using a suitable wrench, remove the VTC from the cylinder head.
- Install the VTC in to the cylinder head, by first hand tightening, then using a wrench.
- Plug the wire harness connector into the VTC valve.