REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- If equipped with a manual transaxle, refer to the Clutch Removal and Installation procedures in Drive Train , then remove the transaxle and the clutch assembly. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, refer to the Automatic Transaxle Removal and Installation procedures. then remove the transaxle and the torque converter.
- For manual transaxles, remove the flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts and the flywheel. For automatic transaxles, remove the drive plate-to-crankshaft bolts and the drive plate.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures. Torque the flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts to specifications.
RING GEAR REPLACEMENT
Manual Transaxle Only
Ring gear replacement should be referred to a qualified engine machine shop.
- Using a die grinder, cut the ring gear from the flywheel.
- Heat the entire ring gear to cherry red with a torch.
- Place the ring gear onto the flywheel and allow to cool. Do not cool with water. This will harden the gear. The gear will break when the starter drive makes contact.
- Install the flywheel to the engine and torque the bolts to specifications in a star pattern.