REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Refer the Rocker Arm Cover removal and installation procedure in this section and remove the cover.
The CA16DE, GA16DE, CA18DE and CD17 (diesel) engines do not use rocker arm shafts.
- Loosen the valve rocker adjusting nuts, then turn the adjusting screws to separate them from the push rods.
- Evenly, loosen the rocker shaft bolts, then remove the bolts and lift the rocker shafts from the cylinder head.
If it is necessary to remove the rocker arms from the shafts, perform the following procedures: remove the shaft bolts and the spring clips, then slide the rocker arms from the shaft. Be sure to keep the parts in order for reassembly purposes.To install:
- Position the rocker arm shaft and brackets in the correct place and hand-tighten the bolts. Torque the rocker arm shaft, from the center working to the end, bracket bolts to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-20 Nm).
- To adjust the valve clearance, refer to the Valve Adjustment procedure in General Information & Maintenance .
- Install the rocker arm cover.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable. Release the fuel pressure as described in Fuel System .
- Remove the rocker arm cover, gasket and oil separator.
- Remove the intake manifold supports, oil filter bracket and power steering pump.
- Set No. 1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke.
- Remove the timing chain tensioner on the side of the head.
- Matchmark and remove the distributor.
- Remove the timing chain guide. Remove the camshaft sprockets while holding the camshaft stationary with a large wrench. Secure the timing chain with wire so the timing is not lost. The front cover will have to be removed if the chain timing is lost.
When removing the camshafts, loosen the journal caps in the opposite sequence of tightening. Camshaft damage may result if this step is not followed.
- Remove the camshafts, brackets, oil tubes and baffle plate. Label all components for proper installation.
- Remove the rocker arms, shims, rocker arm guides and hydraulic lash adjusters. Label all components for proper installation.
- Install the rocker arms, shims, rocker arm guides and hydraulic lash adjusters in the proper location.
- Install the camshafts, brackets, oil tubes and baffle plate in the proper location. Torque the bolts in 3 steps in proper sequence. The 1st step to 17 inch lbs. (3.5 Nm), the 2nd step to 50 inch lbs. (9 Nm) and the 3rd step to 105 inch lbs. (11 Nm) for all caps, except the distributor cap. Torque the distributor cap to 230 inch lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the timing chain guide and camshaft sprockets while holding the camshaft stationary with a large wrench.
- Install the distributor.
- Install the timing chain tensioner on the side of the head.
- Install the intake manifold supports, oil filter bracket and power steering pump.
- Install the rocker arm cover, gasket and oil separator.
- Connect the negative (-) battery cable. Adjust the ignition timing as outlined in General Information & Maintenance .