REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Some 1982-87 vehicles have a pre-converter in the exhaust manifold. If the pre-converter is broken, remove the under floor converter and remove broken converter pieces.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely with jackstands.
- Remove the lower heat shield from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the front pipe from the converter housing.
- Remove the 5 converter housing bolts and remove the housing and converter from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the screen and converter from the housing.
- Install the converter and screen into the housing.
- Install the housing to the exhaust manifold and torque the bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Install the gasket and front pipe to the converter housing and torque the nuts to 26 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Install the heat shield and torque the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Remove the converter lower shield.
- Disconnect converter from front pipe.
- Disconnect converter from tailpipe.
Assemble all parts loosely and position converter before tightening the exhaust clamps. On some models tail pipe and muffler are one piece.
- Remove catalytic converter.
- To install reverse the removal procedures. Always use new clamps and exhaust seals, start engine and check for leaks.