REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Sentra Models With 2-Piece Front Pipe
- Raise the car and support it securely. Make sure the engine has been turned off for an hour or more so all pipes are cool. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
- Remove the bolts fastening the clamps to the head shields. Remove the two bolts fastening the two halves of the heat shield together at the rear. Remove the upper and lower halves of the heat shield.
- Remove the three attaching nuts from underneath the flange fastening the pipe to the manifold. Then, remove the nuts and bolts from the flange at the rear of the pipe. Then, pull the pipe down at the front and out at the rear. Remove gaskets and any gasket material left on the sealing flanges.
- Install a new gasket onto the front of the pipe. Install the pipe by inserting it into the muffler pipe (at its rear) and then inserting the front up into the exhaust manifold.
- Install the bolts and nuts at the rear, torquing until the spring located between the flanges is fully compressed and the bolts reach 12-15 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm). Torque the nuts at the front to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-26 Nm).
- Install the heat shield in reverse order, torquing the bolts to 36-72 inch lbs. (4-7 Nm).
- Support the vehicle securely by using jackstands or equivalent under the frame of the vehicle.
- Remove the exhaust pipe clamps and any front exhaust pipe shield.
- Soak the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter front pipe mounting studs with penetrating oil. Remove attaching nuts and gasket from the manifold or converter. Pulsar models have 2 catalytic converters.
If these studs snap off, while removing the front pipe the manifold or catalytic converter will have to be removed and the stud will have to be drill out and the hole tapped.
- Remove any exhaust pipe mounting hanger or bracket.
- Remove front pipe from the catalytic converter.
- Install the front pipe on the manifold or catalytic converter with seal if so equipped.
- Install the pipe on the catalytic converter. Assemble all parts loosely and position pipe to insure proper clearance from body of vehicle.
- Tighten mounting studs, bracket bolts exhaust clamps.
- Install exhaust pipe shield.
- Start engine and check for exhaust leaks.