The rear drive axle oil should be checked very 15,000 miles (24,155 km) for normal conditions and 7,500 miles (12,077 km) for severe conditions. Use GL-4 gear oil for adding or refilling the transfer case.
Never start the engine while check the oil level. Raise the vehicle and support safely. Remove the plug in the rear housing. Fill with fluid until it reaches the bottom of the fill hole. Install the plug and torque to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
DRAIN AND REFILL
- Drive the vehicle to warm up the drive axle to temperature. Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Place a drain pan under the drive axle drain plug. The case may not have a drain plug. The gear oil may have to be sucked out of the fill hole in the rear of the housing. If this is the case, use a suction pump to remove the gear oil.
- If so equipped, remove the drain plug under the drive axle housing and allow to drain completely.
- Install the drain plug and torque to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
- Remove the fill plug on the side of the case. Using an approved pump, fill the drive axle with GL-4 gear oil until it reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole.
- Install the fill plug and torque to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle and road test. Check for leaks after road test.