The transfer case oil should be checked very 15,000 miles (24,155 km) for normal conditions and 7,500 miles (12,077 km) for severe conditions. Use GL-4 gear oil for adding or refilling the transfer case.
Never start the engine while check the oil level. Raise the vehicle and support safely. Remove the filler plug in the passenger side of the case. Fill with fluid until it reaches the bottom of the fill hole. Install the plug and torque to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
DRAIN AND REFILL
See Figure 1
- Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature, then turn it OFF . Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Place a drain pan under the transfer case drain plug.
- Remove the drain plug under the transfer case and allow to drain completely.
- Install the drain plug and torque to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
- Remove the fill plug on the side of the case. Using an approved pump, fill the transfer case with GL-4 gear oil until it reaches the bottom of the fill plug.
- Install the fill plug and torque to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle and road test. Check for leaks after road test.