REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The windshield is a very delicate and expensive piece of glass. During the procedure the glass can break very easily. Removal and installation is recommended to be performed by a qualified glass installation shop. If the installer breaks the glass during installation, he will try again at the shop's expense. If the do-it-yourselfer breaks the glass, he has to purchase another piece and try again.
- Place a protective cover over the hood, front fenders, instrument panel and front seats.
- Remove the windshield wiper arm assemblies.
- Remove the windshield moldings.
- On the inside of the body, loosen the lip of the weatherstrip from the body flange along the top and the sides of the windshield opening. Use an appropriate tool and carefully put the weatherstrip over the body flange.
- After the windshield weatherstrip is free from the body flange, with the aid of a helper, carefully lift the windshield from the opening. There are special suction cup tools available especially made for this purpose.
- Check the windshield weatherstrip for irregularities.
- Clean off the old sealer around the windshield opening and check the entire body opening flange for irregularities.
- With the aid of a helper carefully position the replacement glass on the windshield opening.
With the windshield glass supported and centered in the body opening, check the relationship of the glass to the body opening around the entire perimeter of the glass.
- The inside surface of the glass should completely lap to body flange.
- The curvature of the glass should be uniform to that of the body opening.
- Mark any sections of the body to be reformed. Remove the glass, and reform the opening as required.
- Clean out the old sealer in the glass cavity of the windshield weatherstrip and around the base of the weatherstrip.
- Install the weatherstrip to the glass.
- Insert a strong cord in the groove of the weatherstrip where the body flange fits. Apply soapy water to it, so it will fit into the weatherstrip groove easily. Tie the ends of the cord and tape to the inside surface of the glass at the bottom center of the glass.
- With the aid of a helper, carefully position and center the windshield assembly in the body opening.
Do not tap or hammer on the glass at any time.
- When the glass and weatherstrip are properly positioned in the opening, slowly pull the ends of the cord, starting at the lower center of the windshield to seat the lip of the weatherstrip over the body flange. The cord should be pulled first across the bottom of the windshield, then up each side and finally across the windshield top.
- Using a pressure type applicator, seal the inner and outer lips of the weatherstrip to the glass with an approved weatherstrip adhesive. Seal completely around the weatherstrip.