REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely, then remove the wheels.
- Remove wheel bearing locknut.
- Remove brake clip assembly. Make sure not to twist the brake hose.
- Remove tie rod ball joint.
Cover axle boots with waste cloth or equivalent so as not to damage them when removing driveshaft. Make a matching mark on strut housing and adjusting pin before removing them.
- Separate halfshaft from the knuckle by slightly tapping it.
- Mark and remove the strut mounting bolts.
- Remove the lower ball joint from the knuckle.
- Remove the knuckle from the lower control arm.
To replace the wheel bearings and races they must be pressed in and out of the knuckle assembly. To pack the wheel bearings, they will have to be removed from the knuckle assembly.
- Install the knuckle to the lower control arm and connect the ball joint.
- Connect the knuckle to the strut and to the halfshaft.
- Install the tie rod ball joint.
- Install the brake caliper assembly.
- Install the wheel bearing locknut and torque hub nut to 145-203 ft. lbs. (197-276 Nm).
- Install the front wheels.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely. Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the wheel bearing locknut while depressing the brake pedal.
- Remove the brake caliper and hang with a piece of wire instead of the brake hose.
- Remove the tie rod end using a tie rod removing tool J25730A or equivalent.
- Separate the halfshaft from the knuckle by slightly tapping with a soft hammer.
- Remove the strut-to-knuckle retaining bolts and separate.
- Loosen the lower ball joint nut and separate using a ball joint separator J25730A or equivalent.
- Place the assembly in a vise. Drive the hub with the inner race from the knuckle with a suitable tool. Remove the inner and outer grease seals.
- Remove the bearing inner race and outer grease seal.
- Remove the snapring and press out the bearing outer race.
- Press a new wheel bearing into the knuckle assembly not exceeding 3.3 tons (3,000 kg) pressure.
- Install the snapring and pack the grease seals with chassis grease.
- Install the inner and outer grease seals.
- Press the wheel hub into the knuckle not exceeding 3.3 tons (3,000 kg) pressure.
- Check bearing operation and force the assembly into the knuckle to 3.9-5.5 tons (7,800-5,000 kg) pressure.
- Make sure the bearings rotate freely.
- Install the knuckle and wheel hub. Torque the wheel bearing locknut to 145-203 ft. lbs. (196-275 Nm).
- Install the lower ball joint and torque the nut to 43-54 ft. lbs. (59-74 Nm).
- Install the strut bolts and torque to 84-98 ft. lbs. (114-133 Nm).
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.